Monday, September 5, 2011

Homecoming 2011 in Texas

The weather is starting to cool off a bit around these parts.  Hopefully, it will last.  We are all looking forward to fall weather.  And with that comes football... and homecoming!  Our homecoming is early again this year.  We are 'ready Freddy' though.  

The past several years, my daughters and some of their friends gather at our house in my studio and we have lots of fun making the mums and garters.  Go here for last year's models.  I know a lot of people who don't craft and order their mums and garters.  I understand.  But personally, this is another reason I love crafting.  Putting these together is so much fun and one of the few times of the year that my older daughters and I dedicate the day together being creative.  And yes, it takes most of the day!

A glimpse of our handy work... and the big-fat mess creativity!

 

We branched out a little this year and made loops and braids.
 
  

Of course, we personalized with as many band and football things we could find.  Because he plays football and she marches with the band, they won't be able to sport their mums and garters until after the game - maybe at dinner.

 

I know my daughter is looking forward to seeing her mum and her dad is looking forward to the game!  Friday night lights, baby!

Oh, I have to share this also... when my husband and I were in high school, the tradition waaaaay back then was "mum's the word."  So, all day long at school everyone had to be quiet during passing periods, in the halls, etc.  All you could  hear was the jingling of the bells and swishing of the ribbons.  We were pretty quiet in the classrooms, too.  Then, we would all quietly go to the pep rally at the end of the day in the gym.  Still quiet, we waited for the cheerleaders to come in.  And when the football players busted through the big paper banners and the band struck up, we all screamed at the top of our lungs!  It was almost deafening after such a quiet day.  I wish our high school would do that these days.  Good times, good times.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. When my kids were in jr. high and high school, I bought many a mum for homecoming, but never, I repeat never, did I attempt to make one. You are creative AND brave! And your strawberries from the post before are so cute.

    What fun memories about your homecoming days! Do you still have any of your old mums? My girls kept theirs for many years, but I think my oldest finally took a photo of hers to share with a friend and then let it go where all mums go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a blast! I want a mum!!

    My mum-related story: one of my good friends was Homecoming Queen. Her mum was gigantic (as fitting for the queen). As such it was pinned to her bra strap. We left campus for lunch in her car... she was still wearing her mum... and hit a wild turkey. She claimed her reaction time was poor due to not being able to move her arms. Also, there was an issue with reflection off of the mum's gold foil. It was a legendary mum.

    Love your work. Honey-Mou

    ReplyDelete