Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pushing the comfort zone... and seeing spots

I'm about to push my comfort zone a little.  Err, a lot.  It was difficult for me to even open an Etsy shop and I haven't sold much from it.  Although, I haven't listed much either.  But now, I have the opportunity to sell some of my children's garments in a local retail shop.

So why am I nervous?  Not totally sure.  I guess I just want to make sure that what I sew and have to offer is professional and comfy.  I'm fairly new but getting better and learning all the time.  I think I'm ready for that next step.

I met with the shop owner on Friday and had a chance to get to know her a little better.  She's a super-sweet gal and the atmosphere of the shop is very casual and kid friendly.  She even has a big, cool fabric tent with pillows, a sweet little pink vanity, toys, and a comfy couch for the kids to enjoy whilst the mommies shop.  Everything she carries is of great quality and all handmade.  It was nice to sit and chat with some of the other designers.  Wait, does that make me a designer?  *pondering...*

You know the first thing I did when I got there was to check out the other garments.  C'mon - you know you do it, too.  Even when you are shopping at a large retail store.  Turn over the seam. check it out.  "How did they finish this?"  "Ooooh, I like that!"  "Neat idea, why didn't I think of that?"  "Hmmm, not sure about this."  You know.

I stayed up until 4 a.m. working on garment hang tags, too.  Some designers use business cards and they looked great.  I'll stick with my handmade tags for now.  What do I have to lose, right?  I'm not in it for the money, just for an excuse to sew more.  And, that's what counts!  I would love to hear from you.  Have you had any experience with this?  Any advice?

I finished up this little outfit the other day also.  I really like Pink Fig's "Olivia" top.  The shirring is fun and pretty quick.  It has lots of options.  I love the leopard against the red and green, too.


I made some little cha-cha pants to go with it.  I love the way they swing when walking!


As always, thanks for stopping by.  I have about five different projects in mind right now from aprons to a bedspread.  I may have to work on my quilting skills!  Well, I'm off to watch a movie and maybe work on a little hand embroidery!  ..... must... stitch.....

Mona Pin It

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! It is soooo cute! I wish I could wear it. You will do great with these gorgeous outfits. I can't wait to see more in your etsy shop! ~Shelley O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering why your lovely creations haven't already made it the shops!
    I know what you mean about being nervous when selling what you make. I think when we stop being nervous, then we have lost our enthusiasm.
    It is what drives us to keep creating lovely things.
    You are going to be a real success. Congratulations!!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! Being a designer is a dream/wish of quite a few of us!!!
    My daughter is also having a leopard phase....
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete