Saturday, December 10, 2011

Holiday Pillows - Fa La La

My BFF Harriet and I made some super-cute holiday pillows last week and I couldn't wait to show them off.  I like to change out the pillows in my living room during the year and found that just making slip covers is so quick and easy. 


This is Kitty Moo-Moo.  She's chillin' like a villain, eh?


I used the freezer paper method for both pillows.  After I typed up my pretty "fa la la" in Word and sized it to my liking, I printed it out and traced it onto the matte side of the freezer paper.  For the carolers, I did a little work in PhotoShop to get the silhouette, and again traced it to the freezer paper.  Then, I used a craft knife to cut out the pieces where I wanted to paint.  I used an iron without steam to iron the shiny side of the freezer paper to the fabric (I used unbleached muslin).  I turned the fabric over and ironed from the back side as well to make sure all the bubbles were gone and it was nicely and evenly adhered.  Using Plaid Simply Screen water-based screen printing paint (found at Hobby Lobby for under $3.00) and a sponge brush, I painted in the areas and let them dry for a few hours.  The freezer paper pulled right off with no problems.  The next day, I used medium grit sand paper and lightly sanded over the painted areas to give them a vintage look.  That's it!  This would be a wonderful technique to use on hand towels as gifts for Christmas.

Go here for Char's 'Faux Feed Sack Pillows' post about the project she made using the new Cameo.  I don't have the Cameo so I just made do, but wouldn't that be a fun little machine to use?  You can also use a Cricut or Silhouette if you have one.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment