Monday, January 30, 2012

Dog Toy Tutorial

Since I've already spent too much money on my puppy a puppy can never have too many toys, I decided to make a few for my baby, Mr. Tinkles.  I saw some fleece dog toys at PetsMart made by Martha Stewart (well, not personally, I'm sure), but decided I could make them myself.  


You'll need  fleece, embroidery thread, an embroidery needle, and a pair of scissors.  First, cut two pieces of fleece in a 5" by 12" rectangle.  Use several strands of thread and put a knot in the end of the thread,.  With both pieces of fleece together, make a running stitch from one end of the fleece to the other end.  Don't tie off at this point.


Cut slits about 1/2" apart and about half way from the edge of the fleece to the running stitch, all the way down both sides of the fleece.


Now pull the thread and gather up the material.


Bring both ends together and pull tightly.  Take a few stitches to secure the ends together.


Pull up one piece of fleece to meet the other side and make a stitch.  Continue stitching all the way around until a ball is formed.


 Take a few more stitches and then tie off the tread.  Taah-done - a new doggie toy!


This is Mr. Tinkles trying to shake the living daylights out of his new toy.  On my lap, of course.


I also made him a little bow from a fleece rectangle.  He loves to play tug-of-war with it.



Isn't he the cutest thing?!  Gaw!

Pin It

1 comment: