Well, I finally finished my baby girl's quilt... and I'm finally posting some pictures! I really enjoyed making this quilt as I pushed myself to try some new techniques. And even though I took forever in working through the process in my mind, drawing it out, taking notes, scribbling pictures, and so on, I still made a big mistake! There is something to be said for planning, but I think diving right it might have worked just as well. But, I was able to correct the mistake and it all worked out.
I used the GO! Baby machine I won from AccuQuilt to cut most of the flowers for this quilt. When I was asked what dies I would like to choose, I specifically chose two of the dies for this quilt. The little machine worked like a charm, too. My baby girl even helped me cut out some of the flowers. I used Lila Tueller's Soire'e fabric charm packs that were given to me a while back. It was perfect for this project.
I used Bari J. Ackerman's book, "Inspired to Sew" for instruction and inspiration. It is a wonderful book with lots of great projects. Love, love, love it! After I got the foundation of my quilt in order, I placed all of the flowers and leaves where I wanted them and pinned, pinned, and pinned! Then, I used free-motion quilting to sew them on. It did take some time, but I thought it was well worth it. I found that using a fabric glue stick helped keep the pieces in place as I moved around. I kept some pins in place except for the immediate pieces that I was sewing so that as I went along, I could reposition pieces as needed. It also alleviated the hassle of trying to sew around the pins.
Below are some of the close-ups where you can see a little more detail. I wasn't too picky about perfect applique here. I just moved all around at a fairly even speed and tried to make sure all the pieces were sewn down well. I enjoyed making the bark on the trees, the clouds, and the grass.
I also added a few dimensional pieces to the center of some of the flowers. One of my favorite parts to this quilt is the bunting. I love the way it pops right off of the quilt!
The big blunder I made? I didn't sew the border on to my quilt top! When I finished all the quilting and started to make my border, I realized this. I had to sew on additional batting so that I could add my border. But, like I said, it worked out okay because I decided to add a ruffle and facing strip to the back. Several new techniques later, and I was happy!
This is the back of the quilt. I like the way it looks, too. Fun.
And, here is baby girl's room. I made the quilt to the dimensions of the width of the mattress and a little bit shorter to allow for the pillow (and a billion stuffed animals), but wished I had made it a little bit longer and wider. I'm not sweating it now, though! I guess I better get busy on a pillow sham... and I think it might be time to put away the flannel snowflake sheets!
I'll come back soon to share a little more about the tree in her room. Thanks for stopping by! Pin It